Thursday, September 19, 2013

At the Atugan

Do you like bridges? Or just love the great, green outdoors? Well there's this bridge in the province of Bukidnon that literally made me gasp for air the first time I saw it. It wasn't technically the first time I passed by the bridge but the first time I saw it and what's underneath it, I was blown away.

This is the Atugan Bridge. This bridge is located at Sayre Highway, Impasug-ong, Bukidnon. It's very common actually to pass by here if you're travelling along the Cagayan de Oro - Bukidnon - Davao route. According to sources, the height of the bridge from the earth beneath it up to the actual roadway is about 210-215 meters and it is claimed that it is the highest bridge in the country! It crosses the Atugan canyons and boy does it have a view! 


I had a chance before to attend and watch a 4-wheel drive off road challenge that took place below the bridge and it was tasking to go the bottom of the bridge and it was twice as difficult to hike back to the roadway because of the absence of a real path as well as the steep slopes. I was almost out of breath I wanted to cry but I didn't because it'll expend my energy further. So anyway, here are two photos showing how (1) how above looks like from below and (2) how below looks like from above. Hihi..


I'm from Leyte so I have a bias over the beauty of the longest bridge in the Philippines, the San Juanico Bridge. Although I've seen it a lot of times, San Juanico Bridge never ceases to amaze me. On the other hand, Bukidnon captured my heart the first time I arrived in its mountains and  it continues to do just that. One of the reasons I love Bukidnon is my love for this bridge. It took my breath away when I first saw it and it is not just due to the length of the bridge or its remarkable height, but mostly is the beauty of the things beneath it and the expanse of the beauty that stretches on both sides of the Atugan canyon.

There are a lot of nice things to see in Bukidnon and if you're interested in seeing this bridge, just ride a RTMI bus from Agora Terminal, Cagayan de Oro. However, you'll just get to pass by this bridge and look at it for a few seconds. But you can ask to be dropped off either before or after the bridge by simply asking the conductor or the bus driver. It'll be more convenient to be on a private trip so that you can really take time to take pictures on the bridge at least for a while.

Wanderers Tip: It is unusual but it is nice to visit the bridge during the colder months (well, Bukidnon is generally cooler than most of the Philippine provinces) after a drizzle or rain because the temperature and the rain create fog formations under the bridge producing a more scenic, picturesque view that is perfect for photo ops!

I now love two bridges in the Philippines and they are such beautiful things. But apart from the structure itself is the greenery that is simply wonderful and every time I see naturally beautiful things, I try to pause and catch my breath and thank the Supreme Being that made all these. Every beautiful thing not created by man amazes me and reinforces my belief that there must be somebody greater than anyone of us who can create such eye-gasmic scenery for us to appreciate and even more so, protect. To all the wanderers out there, I hope that you get to be at the Atugan soon so you'll get the beautiful picture that I'm trying to get at. :)

[Sisters of Wander]

All photos used in this article are property of the contributors of sistersofwander.blogspot.com. Please notify prior to usage of any of the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment